from $ 78.00
Handspun in Tibet from pure yak & sheep wool
This unique collection is the result of a special collaboration with artisans of the high grasslands of the Tibetan Plateau. Each ball is hand-spun in small batches by nomad women, each taking 5 days to create. Our artisans bring over 40 years of high altitude yak herding and hand spinning to their craft.
Handspun Love is designed to be as rugged and resilient as the land and people of the Plateau; its sturdy texture makes it particularly great for structural projects such as baskets, bowls, trivets and pillow covers. We include free project patterns with each order to get you started!
Our partner workshop is made up of Tibetan nomads who have recently been placed into settlements. Without land and livestock, they now sustain their livelihood from fiber craft. Your purchase both supports livelihoods and keeps an age-old tradition alive.
- Fiber: Local Tibetan family-raised yak and sheep wool
- Yardage: Approximately 30 yards
- Suggested knitting needles: US Size 17-50
- Suggested crochet hook: US Size P-U (15-25mm)
- Suggested yardage: One 30 yard ball is enough for a ~10"-12" diameter flat table basket. Free project pattern included.
- Care: Hand wash cold and air dry. May be dry cleaned.
- Due to the hand-spun nature of this yarn, each ball is unique. Please plan on enough yarn to complete your project to assure consistency.
- Shedding and slight discoloration of hands from lanolin when first working with a new ball of Handspun Love is normal and will decrease with time.
Select images captured by Nicola Parisi