Let's weave! This workshop explores the intricate art form of frame loom weaving—from warping the loom to drafting your design. Jessie will work alongside you, helping you develop your piece and get to know all the steps of the textile-making process. You will complete class with a mini wall-hanging or “woven drawing” with the design and colorway of your choosing. All materials will be provided, including a frame loom to take home with you. A brief presentation of tapestry weaving history and our instructor's sources of inspiration will be shared along the way.
Light snacks & beverages will be provided as well as a 10% discount off everything in our shop :)
Instructor: Jessie Mordine Young is a Brooklyn-based artist who researches, writes about, curates, makes and teaches textile art. She believes that textiles can be carriers of empathy, memory, and lived experience and that they are evidence of humanity. This sentiment is at the root of her art practice. In one of her more recent bodies of work, she embarked on a project of creating daily artworks, which she calls “woven drawings” or “thread sketches.” These pieces directly connect to her experiences in nature, where color and texture become tangible references to sites, sounds, and forms she finds when immersed in the landscape. Jessie is also enamored by the alchemy of the dye vat; she often paints her yarn and woven fabrics through a natural dye process, where she creates her own visual language with color by thoughtfully sourcing plant matter.
She earned her BFA in Fiber and Material Studies and Art History from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) and an MA in Material Culture, Design History and Object Study from the Bard Graduate Center in NYC. She is a part-time faculty member in the Fashion, Interior Design, and Textiles department at Parsons School of Design. Through extensively researching various craft histories in her academic and former curatorial practice, she has developed an appreciation for slow, thoughtful acts of making as an act of autonomy.
When: Thursday, November 30, 6-9pm (please arrive 5 minutes early)
Location: Love Fest Fibers HQ! 3300 Judah Street, San Francisco
Instructor: Jessie Mordine Young, Fiber Artist
- Workshops are intended for adults; youth 13 and up are also welcome
- Masking is now optional but please feel free to wear a mask if you feel more comfortable. The door and/or window will stay open for additional ventilation and safety throughout class. Please stay home if you're feeling under the weather or have a positive COVID test result (even if past the 5-day guideline).
- A reminder email will be sent one day prior to the workshop
- Workshops are refundable up to 10 days before the workshop date
- Discount codes cannot be used on workshop purchases, but feel free to use a Love Fest gift card!