100% Handspun Yak Down
This special collection is made from 100% "kullu"—the softest premium yak down. Each skein is handspun in small batches by nomad women of the Tibetan Plateau.
We've partnered with Shangdrok, a workshop of nomad artisans on the high grasslands, to bring you this line. A single skein takes 2 days to create and supports the traditional livelihoods of both artisans and yak herders.
Working with yak fiber has so many virtues, probably the coolest of which is that yak aren't shorn for their down—it sheds naturally each summer and falls to the ground (like fruit) for herder families to collect. Kullu is also an incredibly soft fiber with a fineness similar to cashmere at 18-19 microns.
• Fiber: 100% nomad family-raised yak fiber from Tibet, plied with cotton thread. All fiber is undyed; white hues in this collection have been depigmented.
• Weight: 100 - 110 grams
• Yardage: Approximately 45-55 yards
• ~2.5 stitches per inch
• Suggested knitting needles: US Size 15 (10mm)
• Suggested crochet hook: 10mm
• Suggested yardage: Visit our Pattern Library for free project ideas and exact yardage guidelines.
Hand wash cold and air dry. May be dry cleaned.
Due to the hand-spun nature of this yarn, each skein is unique. Please plan on enough yarn to complete your project to assure consistency.